1. The 1938 Lincoln Zephyr four door sedan

    15 notes
  2.  

  3. The 1961 Lincoln Continental four-door convertible

    60 notes
  4.  

  5. Brunn & Company

    Brunn & Company was founded in 1908, building one-of-a-kind cars for wealthy customers. Brunn’s coaches had a reputation for being strong and sturdy. While most coachbuilders used cheap iron castings, Brunn craftsmen used stronger bronze castings to reinforce their frames. Brunn bodies had simple, yet luxurious seating. Their cushions weren’t tufted or tasseled, but they were soft and lush—even the chauffeurs’ seats were padded, uncommon for the time.

    The Lincoln Motor Company’s relationship started with Brunn in 1920. Lincoln designers wanted to refresh their designs, so they invited the founder of Brunn to travel to Detroit and review some 1920-1921 Lincoln coaches. After giving his assessment, Henry Leland was so impressed that he asked him to create 12 designs for Lincoln. After Ford bought The Lincoln Motor Company, Edsel continued the Lincoln-Brunn relationship. In 1937, Lincoln commissioned Brunn to create a vehicle for President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Painted Presidential Blue, the vehicle was armor plated and equipped with bullet proof glass. Weighing in at 9,300 pounds, it went on to earn the nickname “The Sunshine Special” and ushered in a Presidential tradition for The Lincoln Motor Company that would last for decades.

    Pictured above: 1939 Lincoln K-Series Limousine, otherwise known as The Sunshine Special

    6 notes
  6.  

  7. Murray Body Corporation

    Unlike most carrossier studios of the era, Murray Body Corporation wasn’t founded by a single carrossier. It was a conglomerate founded in 1929 when Towson, C.R. Wilson Body Co., and J.C. Widman Body Co. merged to create the Murray Corporation of America. It was one of the country’s largest body makers of the era and it’s still in business today, operating as an auto parts manufacturer.

    Pictured above: 1929 Model A Fordor Murray

    5 notes
  8.  

  9. J.B. Judkins Company

    J.B. Judkins Company was one of the first coachbuilders in the automobile industry. Though its founder got his start by building horse carriages, he saw that motorcars were the future of transportation and founded the J.B. Judkins Company in 1843. He applied the same principles he learned in high-end carriage building to high-end coach building; each Judkins body was marked with a serial number, making it easy for a consumer to identify a Judkins coach.  

    The Lincoln Motor Company was Judkins’ biggest client. The carrossier designed and built 5,904 bodies for the company (more than any other carrossier) including the Judkins Burlines, a 5-passenger body, and coupes for the L, K and KA chassis.

    Pictured above: 1933 Lincoln Judkins Burline

    16 notes
  10.  

  11. Fleetwood Metal Body Company

    The founder of the Fleetwood Metal Body Company began his career as a bicycle builder, but found his way to motorcars in 1905.

    Eventually, the Fleetwood studio moved into the same building as LeBaron, and the two studios collaborated frequently. As LeBaron’s design studio lacked a production plant, Fleetwood built some of LeBaron’s early designs. In turn, LeBaron “ghost-designed” some of Fleetwood’s bodies for a fee.

    Fleetwood was well known for their intricate woodwork, and they worked with a New York City supplier to install fine cabinets, vanities and door friezes in their interiors. Between 1922 and 1925, Fleetwood built 763 bodies for The Lincoln Motor Company, mostly limousines, town cars, and coupes.

    Pictured above: 1924 Lincoln Fleetwood Limousine

    19 notes
  12.  

  13. Dietrich Incorporated

    Dietrich Inc. was started by one of the founders of the Le Baron studio. He and Edsel got along so well that Edsel encouraged him to move to Detroit to create Lincoln bodies full time. The offer was accepted, and Dietrich Inc. was born as an affiliate of the larger Murray Corporation.

    Pictured above: 1933 Lincoln Dietrich Convertible Roadster

    22 notes
  14.  

  15. LeBaron Carrossiers

    LeBaron Carrossiers was founded in 1920 in a studio located just off Central Park in New York City. According to popular legend, its founders chose the name because it sounded stylish and French, yet was easy to understand when pronounced over the telephone.

    Edsel Ford got along very well with founders of the design house; they enjoyed a long relationship, collaborating on two and three-window sedans, Victoria Coupes and more. LeBaron’s signature design feature, the “LeBaron Swoop,” was a raised panel painted in an accent color that sat on the hood of the car. The feature appeared on several Lincoln bodies between 1923 and 1924. Lincoln worked with LeBaron to create several signature vehicles, including a limousine that transported President Calvin Coolidge and the original Lincoln Aero-Phaeton, a vehicle built to show Lincoln’s dedication to aeronautics. The interior was designed to resemble a cockpit, and the car even included an altimeter and a “rudder” on the rear.

    Pictured above: 1932 Lincoln LeBaron Roadster

    17 notes
  16.  

  17. The 1959 Lincoln Continental Mark IV limousine

    101 notes
  18.  

  19. The 1933 Lincoln Brunn Convertible Victoria

    47 notes
  20.  

  21. The 1957 Lincoln Continental Mark II

    33 notes
  22.  

  23. 1936 Lincoln LeBaron Convertible Roadster

    42 notes
  24.  

  25. The 1940 Lincoln Zephyr Continental Club Coupe

    38 notes
  26.  

  27. The 1956 Continental

    62 notes
  28.  

  29. The 1931 Lincoln dual-cowl Sport Phaeton

    20 notes
  30.